What are dental crowns?
A crown is a covering that is custom-crafted to protect a tooth that has been damaged or is at risk of damage.
What are dental crowns made of?
Dental crowns may be constructed from various materials, including metals, porcelain, ceramics, or resin. Each crown is custom-made for each patient, molded to fit the patient’s tooth, and selected to match the color of the individual’s tooth enamel. The location of the tooth determines the material that is used to make the crown. Factors to consider include how visible the crown will be and the tooth’s function and role in the chewing process, which determines the amount of pressure that is typically exerted on the tooth while chewing.
Every dental crown is uniquely crafted and customized for the tooth that it will cover. Dental crowns designed to cover barely visible molars may be crafted from a material such as resin. A crown for a tooth in the front of your mouth that is visible when you speak or smile will usually be crafted from porcelain or ceramic to match your natural tooth enamel as closely as possible. Some porcelain crowns are made from porcelain that is bonded to metal to make the crown stronger and more durable.
When is a dental crown recommended?
Dental crowns are used for a variety of reasons. Some of the most common instances in which a crown may be recommended include the following:
- To cover and protect a tooth following a root canal procedure
- To protect and stabilize a weakened tooth at risk of advanced decay, or to prevent a weak tooth from cracking
- To cover a dental implant
- To hold a cracked tooth together and prevent it from breaking further
- To restore a tooth that has chipped, broken, or been severely worn down
- To cover, protect, and enhance the appearance of teeth that are chipped, broken, misshapen, or discolored
- To stabilize and cover a tooth that has a large filling with very little tooth remaining outside the filling
- To serve as an anchor for holding a dental bridge in place
How long does a dental crown last?
Porcelain crowns may last anywhere between 5 to 15 years, but many patients have enjoyed problem-free dental crowns for much longer. It all depends on your lifestyle and oral hygiene habits, and the amount of pressure and wear and tear that you put on your dental crown.
Does a crown require any special care?
Dental crowns look and feel like your natural teeth and can be cleaned with regular brushing. In most cases, dental crowns don’t require any special care aside from good oral hygiene.
If you’d like to learn more about dental crowns and how they can improve your smile, contact our office today.