For all dentists, our top priority is helping our patients preserve their teeth and maintain good oral health for life.
Although there are plenty of tooth replacement options available, it’s always best to protect the teeth you were born with so you can continue to enjoy all the natural benefits they give you like smiling, chewing, and speaking naturally.
If you or your children live an active lifestyle and participate in sports, we strongly encourage you to protect your teeth by wearing an athletic mouthguard.
How Mouthguards Protect Your Oral Health During Athletic Activity
Athletic mouthguards safeguard your health in two ways:
- First, mouthguards help prevent damage to your teeth and gums that can occur as a result of sports-related impacts.
- Secondly, they also reduce the risk of damaging your teeth, lips, cheeks, or tongue and/or incurring a concussion as a result of rapidly biting down hard on your teeth while playing a sport.
Who Can Benefit From Wearing an Athletic Mouthguard?
Sports mouthguards can be worn by both adults and children to protect their mouths during athletic activities.
We strongly recommend wearing an athletic mouthguard while participating in the following sports activities:
- Martial arts
- Rollerblading and roller-skating
- Mountain biking
- Horse riding
Anyone who plays sports that have a risk of falling, being hit by a flying object (like a ball, stick, or bat), or sports that involve impacts with other players can benefit from wearing an athletic mouthguard.
Types of Athletic Mouthguards
There are three types of athletic mouthguards that you can choose from:
- Stock Mouthguards – Stock mouthguards are intended to be purchased and worn straight out of the package. While they are usually the least expensive option and can get the job of protecting your teeth done, they offer little when it comes to comfort and stability inside your mouth. These one-size-fits-all mouthguards often feel bulky and uncomfortable.
- Boil-and-Bite Mouthguards – Boil and bite mouthguards are purchased almost ready to use. They are not much more expensive than stock mouthguards, but they do offer slightly more when it comes to creating a customized fit and a little more comfort. They are usually available to purchase in different sizes. Once out of the package, they should be boiled and then bit down on to form the unique shape of the wearer’s teeth and bite.
- Customized Mouthguards – The third type of athletic mouthguards are custom-fit mouthguards that are designed and manufactured by our dentist’s office. While custom-made mouthguards are more expensive than the ones you can purchase from a store, they are much more comfortable because they can offer a perfect fit. Additionally, they are always the better option for patients who have orthodontics or dental appliances in their mouths, as they provide the best protection to these investments in your oral health.
Each type of mouthguard comes at a different price point and offers a different level of comfort and protection.
The 3 Best Sports Mouthguards in 2021
Our dentist, Dr. Jared Harding can help you determine the type of mouthguard that’s right for you or your child. However, the following are some of the best athletic mouthguards that are available today.
1. Shock Doctor Gel Max Mouthguard
Although this is a stock mouthguard, it features a soft silicone construction that easily molds to the shape of your teeth. It boasts high shock-absorbing abilities with three-layers of protection. Additionally, it features a breathable, perforated design that does not hinder your airflow during activities.
2. SISU Aero NextGen Mouthguard
This mouthguard is a favorite for several reasons. It has a lightweight construction that does not feel bulky like other mouthguards. As a result, it is easy to talk, drink, and breathe while wearing the mouthguard. It also provides a dental protection warranty and can be reshaped up to 20 times.
The only drawback is that it is only for athletes who are age 11 and older. So, it’s not a good choice for younger children.
3. Shock Doctor Pro Mouthguard
This athletic mouthguard offers great overall value for your money. Despite its low price tag, it comes with a dental protection warranty and a front bumper designed to reduce the shock from impacts.
Protect Your Smile and Your Dental Work With a Custom-Made Sports Mouthguard
If you have dental work, wear braces, or simply want a superior, more comfortably fitting mouthguard to protect your teeth while you play sports, then a custom-made mouthguard is the right choice for you.
Our dental practice is fully equipped to take impressions of your mouth and create a customized, personally fitted athletic mouthguard for you. Custom-crafted mouthguards are guaranteed to provide you with a more comfortable fit and better protection than any standard stock or boil-and-bite mouthguard available.